Saturday, February 6, 2016

wild tame thing

I remember as a child they said she was a "wild girl"
drank too much, ran with the boys
didn't listen to her mother.
30 years later she told me
she told me that when she was a teenager 
she would go into the woods and take off her cloths and lay on the forest floor
how it felt so right
and yet she told no one
for shame of its wrongness
We are tamed
living in our beautiful cage
our stimulating environment,
yesterday, 9 year old boy
we go, discovery world
look at other animals in cages and pools
touch the water they swim in
pull levers and switches
Today, same boy, breaking bubbles in the ice
finally lays
his whole body
down
on the smooth frozen water
stretching out
feeling the fabric of his coat as it slides
on the strangely soft hardness
he lets his body float on its surface
laying
rolling
over to look at the branches of trees
and sky above him
and as I walk to him
I cry
to see him so at home
laying on his mother
nothing but rightness

No comments:

Here is my prescription for the vast majority of us: You need to be in a relatively safe place outside with others